Dublin Bike Ride Getting Into Gear

the-great-dublin-bike-ride-september-2015Up to 5,000 cyclists of all abilities are expected to set out from Smithfield in Dublin on Sunday September 11th as part of the second Great Dublin Bike Ride.

After leaving Smithfield, cyclists will travel out past the historic Four Courts, then onto the North Wall Quays and the environs of Dublin.

To date 40% of participants have registered for the shorter 60km route which passes through Baldoyle, Portmarnock, Malahide, and Swords. The remaining 60% of participants have registered for a slightly more strenuous cycle of the 100km route that passes areas of Ballyboughal, Naul, and Garristown.

The Great Dublin Bike Ride is a flagship event in Ireland for the European Week of Sport (10 – 18 September), the participation event is not timed and includes entrants from 16 to 76 years old. The key message for the week is to #BeActive.

Along with hundreds of trained marshals, the Garda mountain bike unit will also be travelling along the routes with the cyclists.

Speaking ahead of the Great Dublin Bike Ride, Deputy Lord Mayor Rebecca Moynihan said “As a keen cyclist, I am really looking forward to taking part in this fun event. This event provides a great opportunity for people of all ages and abilities to get active and to showcase Dublin as a cycle friendly city.”

Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Patrick O’Donovan TD, added, “The Great Dublin Bike Ride will see 5,000 people take to the streets of Dublin, providing them with a tremendous opportunity to participate in a unique event based on physical activity and community engagement. I would like to wish all of the cyclists well in what will be the biggest event of its kind to happen in Dublin.”

The Great Dublin Bike Ride is an initiative from Sport Ireland who work in conjunction with Dublin City Council, Healthy Ireland, Fingal County Council, Cycling Ireland and Meath County Council to create an event for cyclists of all abilities, from novice to expert.

Sport Ireland is the national coordinator for the European Week of Sport and Chief Executive, John Treacy, is looking forward to the event, “The Great Dublin Bike Ride is one of the flagship events for the European Week of Sport, and really kicks off what promises to be a great week which will see events taking place up and down the country. Mass participation events like the Great Dublin Bike Ride and the many other events taking place in Ireland are a great to keep people active. I look forward to a fantastic day on Sunday.”

Not afraid of a challenge, Operation Transformation leader, Noeleen Lynam, will be one of many novice cyclists at the start line. Determined to keep her fitness up after Operation Transformation, Noeleen was delighted by an invitation from Sport Ireland to take part in The Great Dublin Bike Ride. Speaking about the event, Noeleen explained, “I have really enjoyed the last few months training for The Great Dublin Bike Ride. I loved cycling as a kid and was delighted with the opportunity to get back on the bike and keep my fitness up. Having followed The Great Dublin Bike Ride training plan, I am all set for the big event on September 11th.”

Similar Articles