- This event has passed.
The Business of Sports Science 2015
January 8, 2015 @ 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
The second annual Business of Sports Science conference returns to the RDS on the morning of Thursday, January 8th.
In partnership with the 51st BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition we are bringing together leading sports figures and business leaders to look at areas of how science and technology are changing the way we play.
We are now just 48 hours away from the Business of Sports Science and delighted to confirm that All Ireland winning Dublin Football Manager Jim Gavin will be joining us at the RDS, alongside European Ryder Cup Captain Paul McGinley and the man behind the rise of BT Sport, Grant Best.
We will be looking at the best of last years Young Scientist projects 12 months on, the world of equine genetic testing and the cyberpsychology of sports fans and players.
The Spark of Innovation Award brings together four of Ireland’s brightest young companies in the world of sports based technology and development and the audience promises to provide a networking environment that will kick start your year.
• 0800 Arrival, registration and light refreshments
• 0900 Welcome Address – Rob Hartnett, Sport for Business
• 0915 Donal Ryan, Equinome – “The multi award winning equine genetics company which has already significantly changed breeding techniques in the global Thoroughbred industry which had previously remained unchanged for hundreds of years.”
• 0955 Grant Best – BT Sport Senior Executive Producer on how broadcasting technology is bringing viewers closer to the action than ever before.
• 1035 Coffee and Networking
• 1105 Young Scientists in Sport – Conor Gillardy and Evan Henaghan from St Gerald’s and their innovative idea for a ‘messaging’ gum shield.
• 1115 Paul McGinley – Europe’s Ryder Cup winning Captain will share his thoughts on how technology has improved the game of golf and take part in an interactive Q&A session with our audience of sporting and business leaders.
• 1145 Spark of Innovation Award – Sport for Business is to present a special ‘Spark of Innovation’ award as part of this year’s Business of Sports Science Conference. The finalists who will make a short presentation on how they represent the spark of innovation are Kitman Labs, Nutritics, Gourmet Fuel and Simply Golf.
• 1220 Young Scientists in Sport – Last year’s GPS Handball project from Colaiste Baile Chlár in Galway
• 1230 Patrick Kennedy – Associate Director and Cyberpsychologist at Amárach Research highlighting current trends in the Irish market in relation to sport viewing and attendance rates, sports and activity engagement and the adoption of technology to enhance these experiences. We will also explore the relevant cyber-psychological factors (including motivational and social factors as well as adoption theories) which will promote and detract from the uptake and utility of these technologies in the future.
• 1300 Avenir Sports – The analytics power behind the changing face of Gaelic Games as we know them, with a special guest appearance from All Ireland winning Dublin football manager Jim Gavin.
• 1330 Concluding comments, presentation of the Spark of Innovation award and light lunch
Be part of what was hailed last year as a “brilliant event, right on the money with regard to how science is reshaping sport.”