Communications and Media Manager at Paralympics Ireland
The Paralympic Movement and Paralympics Ireland is on a very positive trajectory in terms of the recognition of the Paralympic Games within sport in general, and the recognition of the elite, high performance athletes and teams involved.
This is an opportunity for a highly motivated, driven individual to play a key role in a dynamic team, within a multi-sport environment, to use their skills to support elite athletes with a disability, to lead up to the Paralympic Games in Tokyo 2020 and beyond.
Irish Sport HQ, National Sports Campus, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15 The role will involve travel internationally and within Ireland
CEO, Paralympics Ireland
- Develop, implement and evaluate the agreed communications and marketing strategy for the organisation
- To lead on the communications aspects of the preparation and review of the organisation’s strategy in accordance with the organisation’s role as set out in its strategic objectives.
- To be the principal communications adviser to the Chief Executive, senior colleagues and the Board, contributing professional communications expertise, in a clear and timely manner to an effective high performing organisation. Provide speech writing support to key office holders and staff when speaking in an official capacity.
- Act as Communications Manager for the Dublin 2018 Para Swimming European Championships. This will be a key focus for 2017 and 2018.
- Develop, deliver and lead Paralympics Ireland’s Media Support Programme for the Paralympic Games and other events that may arise. This will involve attendance at the Paralympic Games for a period to be determined, up to three weeks.
- Establish and maintain key stakeholder relationships with the International Federation (IPC), Games Organising Committees, relevant broadcast and media personnel on behalf of Paralympics Ireland.
Marketing & Media
- Lead and manage all media engagement on behalf of Paralympics Ireland, liaising with print, TV, radio and online media including responding to media queries, drafting and issuing of press releases & statements, holding press conferences and briefing events, crisis management and acting on behalf of Paralympic athletes with media if necessary.
- Manage and produce content for all digital elements including websites and all social media channels.
- Coordinate and deliver media training for athletes and key employees and team staff members on an ongoing basis.
- To maintain and reinforce the agreed brand and corporate identity across all activity
- Lead and manage all official Paralympics Ireland events across all areas of the organisation from concept to delivery. Conduct a review of each event and report accordingly.
- To work with the CEO to develop a strong internal communications strategy.
- Agree and implement an annual individual work programme with the CEO identifying key activities, priorities, personal objectives, timescales, budget and performance indicators.
- Undertake other duties as required from time to time by the CEO.
- Degree (ROI: Level 8) or equivalent in a communications or related discipline.*
- 5 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) experience of planning and implementing communications and marketing plans to strict deadlines.*
- Experience of successful, senior responsibility for effective marketing and communications management in a complex and challenging media organisation with a proven reputation for strong marketing and communications.*
- Demonstrable media management experience*
- Experience in digital/online media implementation*
- Experience of development of productive and open relationships with organisational stakeholders at multiple levels based on engaging and effective communication
- Understanding of sports structures in Ireland, including Paralympic sport.
- A clean current full driving licence and access to a form of transport to meet the requirements of the post in full.
- A flexible approach to hours required including the ability to attend evening and weekend meetings and to undertake occasional travel involving overnight stays
- Experience of working within the Sports sector.
- Experience of providing clear, timely and accurate marketing and communications advice to a Board
- Ability to be adaptable and to perform in a pressurised setting.
- Ability to work on one’s own and also to work as part of a team.
- Proven ability to motivate people and make decisions.
- Significant experience in leading the development and implementation of detailed communications plans in an international environment.
* Only those applicants who clearly demonstrate, by example, how they meet the essential criteria will go forward to the next stage in the recruitment and selection process. Desirable criteria may be used for shortlisting purposes if required. All other essential and desirable criteria will be assessed by selection test and/or interview.
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and can be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.
How to Apply:
Suitable candidates should apply in writing with a letter and current CV to Emma@paralympics.ie
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Thursday 20th July, 2017
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place during the first week in August
Queries may be directed to Emma Heavin at Paralympics Ireland by email at Emma@paralympics.ie or by calling 01 625 1175.
Paralympics Ireland is an equal opportunities employer and all applications will be treated in strict confidence.
Sport for Business Provides a Jobs Listing Service open to members of the Sport for Business community. Contact us today if you would like to know more about membership or look to post a job vacancy to our engaged audience.